Thursday, February 19, 2009

Overt Racism In The New York Post

http://electronicvillage.blogspot.com/2009/02/racist-cartoon-infers-barack-obama-is.html

Racist Cartoonist Sean Delonas has lost his mind, if he thinks the above cartoon is in anyway acceptable. But then, I realize more and more, that racists don't have active neocortexes. Maybe he needs a little help. Let's contact his superiors and request they set an example quickly, and fire him.

The Ultraviolet Underground joins Electronic Village and Al Sharpton in demanding The Post publically clarify what point they were trying to make in this cartoon, and reprimand their cartoonist for making inferences that are offensive and divisive at a time the nation struggles to come together to stabilize the economy if, in fact, this was yet another racially charged cartoon.

You can contact the editor here: col.allan@nypost.com

update:
Col Allan's box seems to be full...
You can also make sure your voice is heard,
by participating in the Color of Change campaign here

I sent the following:
"I am writing to request clarification from your publication regarding the point the bullet riddled chimpanzee cartoon is making, if it is not a racist point.

I am appalled it was printed, and had to check the name of the newspaper several times to be sure I was seeing what I was seeing. As trusted as
your newspaper has been, I would hope you would publish a retraction and an apology to your community of readers, regardless of what culture they hail from. There are people of European descent who are just as disgusted with this incident as people of color. If no such retraction or apology is printed, I have no problem boycotting your newspaper for life, while suggesting others do as well. In reality, this cartoon is not only deeply insulting, it is criminal. Suggesting the commander in chief be murdered by police is an act that can fan the flames of those whose minds are not well, and easily influenced.
You owe it to your readers to be trustworthy. The printing of this 'cartoon' has broken trust with your readers. Personal racist daydreams have no place in a newspaper.
"


Thankyou Villager for the intel.

5 comments:

a.eye said...

Been racking my brain trying to find the logic; trying to not see it as racist; trying to not see the dead monkey representing President Obama... but it isn't working.

Wrote about this myself, too.

Thanks for the link to the editor.

jiwalls said...

it's shocking to me because this is such a publicized post, very daring it would seem if only the country was without a deeply embedded history of racism..

something that festers itself as inferior thoughts in the minds of people in simple, social groups, and is allowed demonstration in order to validate its existence

so is it really that popular of a feeling?? damn.. sprong on hatred like crack.. how is that possible?

and this guy may truly be underdeveloped, thus seeing fulfillment only during periods of hatred and complete disregard of actual facts.

PurpleZoe said...

Peace

@aeye
My pleasure. Thankyou for stopping through and for raising your voice. I am still amazed the New York Post boldly denies the racism in this cartoon.

@Joshua Arts

You know, displays of idiocy and hatred still amaze me. They shouldn't I know, but I think some naive part of me wants to believe the fight to eradicate racism is making at least a little progress...

you wrote:
"something that festers itself as inferior thoughts in the minds of people in simple, social groups, and is allowed demonstration in order to validate its existence"

Inferior thoughts. Yes. You nailed it there. That's the entire problem with racists.

Shine on
-PZ

Samax said...

offensive on many levels.
there's no acceptable excuse for this...

PurpleZoe said...

@Samax

Agreed.
It's incredible to me that such a lame attempt to deny the overt ignorance this cartoon sought to champion, was issued by such a 'prominent' newspaper.
I have no problem boycotting them for life, if there's no apology issued. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

I updated the post with the Color of Change petition link, if you're interested in sending a letter.

Shine on
-PZ