Sunday, September 27, 2009

Am I Not Human: Finding New Ways To Make A Difference

image: Allafrica.com


3 points struck me deeply, and somewhere inside of myself the night I finished watching it, I committed to finding a way to do more to support our human siblings in re-developing countries struggling to survive, through different methods. Lots of ideas passed through my mind. I thought maybe a 'PeacefulPens collective' could somehow connect with folks providing relief in refugee camps so we could put a face to some of the people suffering and write their stories. Not sure if that was the exact idea, I turned the idea around in my mind thinking maybe it should be a 'HappyEndings' children's story collective that would feature children from the refugee camps in Darfur and other areas in the world, with the proceeds going completely to funding [healthy] education and survival needs, but I want to begin something I'm sure I can finish surely and thoroughly, and am unsure I could handle writings hundreds, or thousands of short stories in a small space of time without assistance, as it can be hard (especially during difficult financial times like these) to find folks willing to offer their assistance with no promise of profit. Enough working pens would be necessary and no child refugee's story should be left out of such a venture.

So for now I've decided that I can have a trusted non-profit collect monies accrued from 2 forthcoming fantasy anthologies and have them donated in full to ensure healthy education, and survival needs are supported for survivors living in refugee camps, looking to start their life anew, with security, and hope.

Have you been giving thought to what you can do that might go beyond petition-signing, and days of blogging (both good and powerful things, but for those who can do more the need is certainly there)?

On behalf of all of my human siblings barred from communication, or denied the technology to express what they've been enduring at the hand of greedmongering and unimaginable inhumanity, I ask:





http://www.booksforafrica.org/
Click for more information.




Please see today's guestpost at the Roots of Humanity blog.


8 comments:

msladyDeborah said...

Peace Queen,

Interesting idea. A definite major undertaking for sure. But,if you decide to head that direction-let a sista know. I'll help because these are important stories. Ones that should not be hidden from the view of the world.

In answer to your question about 60 Feet Underground-of course you can post that information. It is really sad to learn that children are being used in this manner. So feel free to pass the information along.

Peace!

Unknown said...

Am I Not Human? One of my colleagues documented 8 ideas for book donations to support Africa. You continue to amaze me with your generous and uplifting nature.

I invite your blog readers to join online activism efforts that seek justice for the human rights abuses that occurred during and after the Gaza conflict.

peace, Villager

PurpleZoe said...

@MsLadyDeborah

Thankyou Queen. I will definitely let you know if that becomes the active direction.
I agree, the stories are tremendously important and shouldn't be hidden.

Thankyou also for allowing ROH to guespost your post on Child rights and needs.

@Villager

Thankyou. It's good to have your vibrant spirit amongst us every month for the Am I Not Human Campaign. Your efforts are strong and appreciated. I signed the petition through link on your blog requesting justice for the Victims in the Gaza genocide attempt.

Shine on, Fists of solidarity
-PZ

Nic said...

Great post.

I thought of an idea while reading your idea. I don't know how helpful it would be but here it is...

What if there was a foundation that had the kids write short stories about - "If your life was to dramatically improve, how would they imagine it?

Then the stories could be showcased in a gallery.

If the "Law of Attraction" foundations are corrent, then this would help the kids visualize a positive future.
And the stories are sure to move and touch the hearts of thousands in the galleries.

Thoughts?
(hmm maybe i could post that in my own blog http://pieceofparadigm.blogspot.com/ )

Dazjae said...

Peace Nic *_^

That's an amazing idea. I think you should approach one of the aid organizations with it. I'd be glad to help in the ways I'm able to collect and organize the stories the children write.
Something should really be done with your line of thought. It has serious highermind value, I agree. It could change lives in very expansive ways.

I'll visit your blog.

Shine on
-PZ a.k.a Dazjae

Nic said...

Good idea you reckon? Cool. :)

How does one go about approaching a foundation about it? I really have no clue...

-nic

PurpleZoe said...

Peace Nic *_^

You can probably email them and ask them who you would speak to about coordinating a campaign. They usually have the people on the ground in redeveloping areas that can ask the children in the camps who would like to participate. A translator will likely be needed as well, but it's one of those ideas that really should come to be.
I would post a blog about it at your blog first, and if you like I can post at Roots of Humanity about it as well. This way they can see what you're wanting to do and that others think it's an amazing idea.

Let me know if you post something and want me to do a writeup about it at Roots of Humanity (RootsofHumanity.blogspot.com)

Shine on
-PZ

PurpleZoe said...

@Nic

Here are a few links:

Enough project

DarfurDreamteam.org

(This is the group that inspired my post about coming up with programs, and action ideas beyond blogging and petition signing)

Shine on
-PZ