Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Review: Ecbacc's Read For Fun

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/41/m_f68bf427455d4ad1906db652aaa7227d.jpg

Reviewed by, Q. (Youth reviewer)

Read for Fun is a book parents and instructors would want youth to enjoy, for sure. It will keep them occupied. The workbook has tons of fun mini comics and many many puzzles, so you don't have to worry about your kids breaking things and poking around looking for something to do, while your working in the next room.

I'd say this is a read for kids ages 9-14. I say 9-14 because there are some parts that involve loss of limbs, which is not something a younger child should see. Also there are some words a younger child might scratch there heads at, though there is a great deal of educational value in this workbook. The incorporation of "that means" and "sounds like" as workbook guides is an interesting twist to activity books I haven't seen before. The average activity book will give directions but with Read for Fun your kids will enjoy a mascot to go with those directions.

Though I'm 15 I still found this to be a rather interesting publication. I may even find myself doing some of the activities to keep me occupied. The cover is bright, and the quality of the book is on par with mass produced publications in the activity book market. I will definitely read the comics many times over. They are well done short comics that give you an idea of what Black Culture comics are like. Ecbacc has outdone themselves.



PZ says:
From an adult perspective, I agree with Q's assessment. Ecbacc already provides a needed outlet and meeting point for creators and consumers of Black alternative comics, art and literature annually with their convention. It is an added bonus that they have begun to publish their own books. It is hoped there will be more to come. The illustrations are lush, and the work put into this volume overall, is admirable.

I only have one word of caution to parents, as being a parent myself I would want advance warning in case I wanted to further expose a young child to the Memnon character introduced in the workbook, as some parents may be inspired to invest in the series for their children. The second book in the Memnon series has extremely mature scenes involving graphically inferred sexual violence, especially where the Minotaur demon is concerned. While an adventurous, historically educational and incredibly well-written story, it is absolutely not for young audiences. I would however recommend it for you, to include in your adult reading. The series is available through Amazon.

No comments: